One of the biggest selling points about cats is that they use a cat litter box and do not need to be let outside to eliminate, but sometimes a cat will avoid using the litter box for a variety of reasons. When a cat goes outside of the litter box it can be very frustrating, but could be signs of an underlying problem that you can help to remedy. Here are some reasons why a feline might not use her litter box, according to the experts at the ASPCA.
- The litter box has not been cleaned often enough or not thoroughly enough. Ensure that you are cleaning it once every couple of days and that you are getting everything out when you clean.
- There are not enough litter boxes for your household. You need to have at least one litter box for every feline that you have, as well as one extra one, or your cats will not be happy.
- There may be too much litter in the litter box, as cats generally prefer only about an inch or two. Any more than that and it will be uncomfortable for them.
- A change in litter type can lead your cat to avoid the litter box. This is because they have developed an attraction to one type and so a switch can make them uncomfortable.
- A cat that is older or has had some sort of injury may have problems getting into and out of certain types of litter boxes properly, leading to elimination problems.
- Cats can also develop a preference for certain rooms and areas, as well as an aversion to certain areas. If the box is in a place that they do not like, then they will avoid it and eliminate elsewhere.
- If something happens to upset your cat while she is in the litter box, this can lead to her wanting to avoid the box. She may be scared to go in at all, or run in and run out without actually using the box.
In order to help encourage your cat to use her litter box, make sure you clean it out often, have the right amount of litter inside, and place it in a good location. Most cats like a location that is private but not cornered off. If you are still having problems, take her to the vet to ensure that she does not have any health issues.