Being a dog owner, you must have come across the situation where your companion was having a seizure. We know that this type of situation can make you feel helpless as well as worried. Especially because they can not utter a single word about what problem they are having, we feel more helpless. However, you need to remember that these kinds of situations are the ones where you need to be calm and composed. In general, seizures are the most common neurological problem in dogs and still it is no doubt, the scariest experience of yours.
This would come unpredictably when you won’t even realize what to do and what not to. To be honest, this is the situation where you need to take charge and follow the ways of preventing it. You need to take control of the situation and give your dog relief.
|What causes Seizures In Dogs and how To Prevent It||Discussion|
|What Foods Can Trigger A Seizure In A Dog?||There are a few foods that can trigger a seizure so it would be better to avoid them.|
|Why Would A Dog Suddenly Have A Seizure?||There are many reasons and we have discussed them.|
|How Do You Stop A Dog From Having Seizures?||There are literally plenty of ways and we have made a list.|
|Dog Seizure Symptoms||We have discussed the all common symptoms so that you can recognize them easily.|
|Can Dog Seizures While Sleeping?||Sometimes only. That’s a very rare case.|
|Types Of Seizures In Dogs||There are three different types that we have discussed here.|
|Dog Seizure Medication||We have mentioned the names of the medications.|
|Natural Remedies For Dog Seizures||You should give your furry companion CBD oil.|
What Foods Can Trigger A Seizure In A Dog?
If you are wondering the reason why your dog is having a seizure then you must know everything behind it. You will be surprised to know that some food habits can trigger a seizure in your companion. If your companion is somehow prone to a seizure then they should never consume inflammatory ingredients including some of the food that might have an allergic reaction such as wheat, corn, additives, beef, soy, or cow milk’s products.
We will not say that these foods can be the reason behind every dog’s seizure but it is true that most of the dogs have an allergic reaction to these foods and that’s why we have mentioned them. You should be aware in case, your companion has any sort of allergic reaction to them.
Read More: How To Clean A Dog Wound?
Why Would A Dog Suddenly Have A Seizure?
There is some scientific reason behind your companion is having a sudden seizure and you should know it. A seizure is nothing but a manifestation of some abnormal motor activity that is occurring in the brain. There are plenty of reasons but according to the reports, there is one common reason that needs to be mentioned. The one reason is idiopathic epilepsy and most of the dogs are having seizures because of this only.
Sometimes, it is genetic and that is why vets are unable to detect the actual reason behind your dog’s seizure. However, there are, of course, some of the other causes too such as blood abnormalities or electrolyte, low blood sugar, cancer, severe anemia, trauma to the brain, metabolic diseases, brain tumors, and exposure to toxins. All of these reasons can play a major role behind the seizure but to be sure about it, you need to visit the vet.
How Do You Stop A Dog From Having Seizures?
If you know how to deal with seizures then you will never be scared when your dog will be having seizures and being a dog owner I feel, it’s absolutely necessary for so many reasons. If you are finding the answer “How long does it take for a dog to recover from a seizure” then there is literally no one who will be able to answer this. But, we will be sharing the way of keeping your companion safe. So, you should better follow the ways below.
- You need to remember that if you picnic then you will never be able to track the whole situation which is absolutely necessary. So, keep calm.
- Since you need to report everything about the seizure so you should be checking the starting time as well as the ending time. If you note the time you can easily understand how long it has stayed. And you can explain the whole thing to your vet.
- Your companion might sound like they are in pain, but you can be sure that they are not at all in pain.
- You should never ever try to grab your pet’s tongue while they are having seizure otherwise you will end up beaten up.
- You might see your dog is drooling too much but it does not mean that they have rabies. That is just a side effect you can say!
- You should take care that your companion is not hurting himself during the seizure and give him the required comfort.
- Your dog might defecate or even urinate but it doesn’t mean they are in pain or the seizure is worse.
- If you see that the seizure is lasting more than 2-3 minutes then you should try cooling your companion by applying wet towels or cold water around his neck, paws, groin, and head.
- Even if you spot your dog acting normally after a seizure but still you should call your vet and explain what happened.
- You should keep track of your dog’s seizure and the length. It will help the vet to figure out the pattern.
- Cluster Seizures In Dogs is very common and if your dog is having more than one seizure within a day then you can consider it as cluster seizure. In this situation, you need to visit the vet ASAP.
What Causes Seizures In Dogs
Dog Seizure Symptoms:
Seizure symptoms are more or less similar in every dog and it includes stiffening, jerking, collapsing, drooling, chomping, tongue chewing, foaming at the mouth, loss of consciousness, and muscle twitching. We have seen that some of the dogs even fall to the side and make paddling motions and even pee or poop during seizures. But, these are the common symptoms of seizure in a dog.
Hence, you should not worry about What Does A Seizure Look Like In A Dog, anymore!
Can Dog Seizures While Sleeping?
To be honest, this would be a very rare case because most dogs have a seizure just after they woke up or while they are awake. But, of course, some of them might have a seizure during sleep. There is nothing to worry about it.
Types Of Seizures In Dogs:
There are three types of seizures that are common in dogs and they are, focal seizures, generalized seizures, and focal seizures with secondary generalization.
Dog Seizure Medication:
We would always suggest you consult with your vet when it comes to medication. However, there are two medications that have been there, potassium bromide and phenobarbital and they are very common medication for seizure. But, there are two medications, zonisamide, and levetiracetam and they are becoming popular too.
Natural Remedies For Dog Seizures:
A lot of people are searching for the one perfect natural remedy for their companion’s seizure and that is CBD oil. You can either directly give it to your pet’s mouth or mix it with their food. Both will work!
Now, you know what exactly can trigger seizures in dogs and what you should avoid. You do know the symptoms as well and we have seen people worried the most about the symptoms because if you do not know them, you won’t be able to identify seizure. You are suggested to keep patience and avoid the foods we have mentioned.